Saturday, October 20, 2007

jack-o'-lantern time

It's Saturday morning and I'm up to my elbows in pumpkin muck. Loving every minute of it. I'd been wanting to buy a pumpkin for several days, but kept putting it off. Then I asked my niece last night on the phone what she'd done this week that was fun, and she replied that they took a trip to the pumpkin patch.

That settled it.

Bought my pumpkin this morning. (City-slicker Aunt Michelle doesn't live anywhere near a pumpkin patch, so the selection at Dominion had to do.)

I want a jack-o'-lantern of my own because they're so cheery when it gets dark. The smell alone as I cut into the rind was worth the price of admission. This is fall - happy fall. (As opposed to chilly, rainy, dreary fall.)

I like my jack-o'-lanterns happy, too. No scary faces for me. It's always a bit of a surprise what the visage will look like, though - I prefer to cut freehand. My faces are pretty simple: two triangle eyes, a triangle nose, and a huge grin with a couple of lone teeth. (Why is it that jack-o'-lanterns have to be toothless, by the way?)

I was afraid this year's fellow was going to turn out a bit of a simpleton. Usually I try to go for a jolly laughing face with some intelligence if I can manage it. Luckily the overall effect of this year's effort was redeemed by an unmistakable aura of innocence. My pumpkin looks just like a picture of my laughing nephew, age two.

(Pepitas are sauteeing on the stovetop as I finish writing this. More happy fall memories...)

No comments: