Sunday, October 21, 2007

how i'm staying cold-free (knock on wood)

Everyone I talk to these days is sick. And I don't just mean everyone in my city. I mean everyone everywhere - Toronto, London, ON, England, Europe...

Here's Michelle's sure-fire preventive for avoiding colds: raw garlic.

I mentioned this garnish in the comment to my harvest soup recipe posted earlier this week. I've been eating it like crazy for days, stirred into soups and stews.

1 small tub (500 mL) of light sour cream
8 cloves fresh, minced garlic

I actually used two cloves from a head of elephant garlic, but it works out to about the same amount. Stir the minced garlic into the sour cream and let the flavours meld for an hour or two before serving. Should keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.

(I find that if I eat raw garlic in the evening, it doesn't come out through my skin the next day the way cooked garlic dishes do. It's pretty powerful stuff during and after eating, though. Just saying.)

No comments: