Wednesday, April 22, 2009

potato recipe


This is one of my favorite ways to eat potatoes. Recently, anyhow. For this recipe you will need: whole potatoes (preferably waxy ones, but if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it, or at least try not to use baking potatoes in this recipe), olive oil, salt, garam masala (an Indian spice blend), red pepper flakes and lime juice. Start by washing the potatoes and putting them (whole and unpeeled) in a large pot with enough water to cover them.



I seem to have chosen a winning bag of potatoes this time around; had to cut off a lot of rotting spots before I put them in the pot. It's alright if you have to do this. Just don't be cooking any rotting potatoes, okay?



Here are the potatoes cooking in the pot. How long will they take to cook? Gosh, I don't know. I usually put the timer on for about 25 minutes, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I often ignore the timer whenever it goes off. Which basically means I don't know how long it really takes to cook anything. You can tell they're done when 1) You can stick a fork in the potatoes and the fork goes through them easily, or 2) The smoke alarm goes off. I don't necessarily endorse option 2), because it doesn't guarantee that you'll actually be able to eat the potatoes. Just saying.



Cooked potatoes. Yum, yum. When I took this photograph, I was planning on eating both these potatoes for my lunch. I apparently have no high glycemic fear.



Mash the potatoes with a fork. I like them kind of chunky - the point is not to make real mashed potatoes. I would have called this post, "mashed potato recipe," in that case.



Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the potatoes. This is my favorite brand of extra virgin olive oil. I see I have cleverly hidden the actual name when taking this photograph. No product placement here, Gallo.



Sprinkle the potatoes with salt. I prefer a New-Age-y organic herb salt called Herbamare. It's good. Really.



Sprinkle a bit of garam masala on the potatoes. I use my fingers. You don't eat my food, so it doesn't matter. Go ahead and use your own fingers - I dare you. (Better yet, I dare you to sprinkle the spice directly from the open container. Re-read the above comment about the smoke alarm first, though.)



Sprinkle some red pepper flakes on the potatoes. I don't really like spicy food, so I use the "air kiss" version of sprinkling here, but you may actually want to get some pepper flakes on your own potatoes. I have bad flashbacks from my childhood when I accidentally sprinkled too many red pepper flakes on my Mother's pizza during family outings. (That's "Mother's" as in the restaurant, "Mother's." Not my own mother. Her pizzas came out of a box.) Repressed memory just surfacing: OMG, my brother and I totally used to dare each other to eat the red pepper flakes straight from the jar at Mother's!



Sprinkle a bit of lime juice on the potatoes. I'm a total esoteric foodie, so I prefer fresh lime juice. Go for the bottle instead, if you like. (You'll regret it, though. Just saying.)



I use one of these wooden citrus reamer thingies to juice my fresh limes. Yes, totally a pain in the @ss.



That's it. No more sprinkling needed, unless you have some other brilliant ideas. These potatoes will go well as a side dish for just about any meal, or - as I've chosen - the main feature of a solitary repast where no-one will notice (or ask) why you're not eating anything else with those potatoes. You're welcome.

No comments: