This is one of Mom's favorite things to serve to guests after a simple meal. It's basically just thawed frozen fruit and store-bought cake, but it has a sophistication that will leave even a gourmand satisfied. To see the entire Facebook album with photos and descriptions, click here.
1. Start with some frozen berries - easy to find in the freezer aisle of your favorite grocery store.
2. Sprinkling the berries with a little sugar or honey will help soften them as they thaw, and create a rich juice that's like ambrosia.
3. Buy a pound cake. Mom also uses angel food cake, which dieters will love because it's so low in fat.
4. Slice the cake, one slice per person.
5. Top the cake slices with the thawed berries and a drizzle of the juice. You can also garnish with whipped cream, ice cream, or a dusting of icing sugar or cinnamon. (For dinner last night with a friend, I opted for plain cake and berries.)