Monday, November 16, 2009

'tis the season for raynaud's disease

I have this thing called Raynaud's Disease that makes my fingers and toes turn yellow in the cold. Had my first major attack of the season today, walking to my car after work (a 15-minute jaunt in the crisp fall air). Here's a picture of my left hand after I got home. The hand is wet because I was warming it under some lukewarm running water before I got the brilliant idea to photograph it.

Basically, whatever controls the constriction of blood vessels to my hands and feet is @$&)ed up. The pallor seen in three of my fingers is where the vessels have constricted so much that blood is no longer getting through. Nice. Hurts like hell, too. Just saying.

I have to be careful to bundle up most of the time, or else winter becomes my own private hell. Summertime in the freezer aisle of the grocery store is not so lovely, either.

(I have since chewed off that hangnail on my ring finger, making a bloody mess, BTW. Also nice. Sorry.)



No comments: